B|D landscape architects worked with Carillion Construction Services on the planning, detail design and construction phases of this small but high quality part of the King’s Cross development.
The building – previously known as ‘Regeneration House’ – was designed by Lewis Cubitt in 1850 while King’s Cross Station was being developed as the London terminus of the Great Northern Railway and served as railway offices for over a century. Originally conceived as the nerve-centre of the original King’s Cross Goods Yard, Regeneration House suffered extensive bomb damage during World War II and was refurbished in the 1980s by the London Regeneration Consortium when it was given its current name.
In summer 2014 the House of Illustration’s first exhibition was opened by Quentin Blake and Joanna Lumley at the heart of the King’s Cross regeneration area.
House of Illustration’s gallery, education space and public realm is the place to see, learn about, and enjoy illustration in all its forms, from adverts to animation, picture books to political cartoons and scientific drawings to fashion design.
Client: Carillion Construction Services
Architects: John McAslan + Partners
Landscape Budget: Confidential
Status: Completed in 2014
Landscape Architects up to Detail Design Townshend Landscape Architects